7.22.2009

in the beginning...

now that i have had my first oh so small emotional breakdown i think it is time to update my readers on my whereabouts.
i have been in chicago since saturday and dear lord, a lot can happen in four days, but i think i can get through it in four weeks.
i honestly think my parents are placing bets on how long i will last at my hostel.
i didn't get to my hostel till sunday and my hostel rocks, i have met so many people from all over the world in just two days.
it's insane, and my hostel is probably where i am learning the most about life and how the world works around me.
however, the sad thing is people in hostels only stay for a couple days so it is one of those things where i am staying in one spot while everyone else is moving on with their lives, it's a weird feeling.
i mean that's the point of a hostel, to only stay for a short time.
this is my issue or issues if you will.
i was told before i got here three things.
1) protect your stuff no matter how protective you may seem...this is a lie.
2) don't take a cab...funniest experience of my trip so far.
3) take lots of pictures...i will without a doubt fail at this task.

lets start with 1 shall we.
my hostel rules and the staff goes to major lengths to protect us and our belongings. our doors lock from the outside and yes, i have locks on my bags, but my bags do not need to leave the room. we could pay a buck a bag to keep them in a closet but that is completely unnecessary. everyone else is doing what i'm doing, making sure their stuff stays in their own bags, they aren't going to take my stuff, also the people who stay in the hostel during the week are here for a reason not just to site see and be all touristy.
so, during the weekend it may be different, we'll see how it goes, but for now the last thing i am worrying about is my stuff...it's a nice feeling.
moving on to 2.
monday night i met my friend chris at the train station to go grab something to eat...we went to the original uno's... fyi.
well, we got back to the train station really late, like 11:30 and i did not have a bus to get back to my hostel and i didn't panic at all because it was not a big deal, but i was hesitant to take a cab because people tell me all those psycho stories about single women in a cab late at night...
well, let me tell you, this guy was hilarious!
rule number one: don't piss off an arabian.
there was this cyclist who was not getting out of this guys way and was being a complete asshole to my driver and the driver got really close to the cyclist tire to spook him, i seriously thought he was going to kill him.
then the driver almost got pulled over by a cop...it was not his fault, just trust me on this.
well, cops in chicago are mean and out to screw you over, so i was glad the cops understood the situation. so i got home and that was my first cab ride ever and it was an eventful one fo sho.
three.
while i will fail.
1) i don't want to look touristy, i am here by myself and i need to look like i know what i'm doing. i have taken a few photo's but nothing to great. remember i am still here for three 1/2 weeks, i have time.
2) i don't think about it. i want to live this, not live it through a lens.

the reason for the itty bitty melt down today.
i haven't quite figured out the bus system yet.
and this was my first real hiccup of the trip.

my bus had its last stop about 6 miles away from my hostel and i was really confused because it was only 6:00 so i had to get off and i panicked just a little because i didn't think i had another bus to get on, so i called my supervisor knowing she's in a meeting...that i couldn't sit it on (another blog, for another time) and i felt a little stranded, so when i am explaining this to my mom at a starbucks (home away from home) i see bus 8 (my bus) stop right in front of me, and then i got even more confused because i thought the holstead(street name) bus was done for the night...it wasn't.

so, i let two other holstead 8 buses pass by before i finally got on one and then i made it back to the hostel. it doesn't sound like a melt down issue, but it triggered something, i think it is because i have only been here for four days and i haven't gotten over that period of being away from people. give me till friday, it will come.

all i know is, being on facebook really sucks, i am not enjoying checking it.

still to come!

--my job and what it entails.

--the soundtrack to my life that is keeping me sane while here.

--getting honked at twice! (this will be super short, because it's so silly)







No comments: