1.18.2009

failure

one of my favorite shows that got cancelled was this show called, 'Jack and Bobby,' no, it is not about the Kennedy's.
i am a quotes girl...i love them, i pay very close attention to dialogue in film and television, and a quote from this particular show has stuck with me.

"i would like to offer you a thought to take with you, listen carefully.
you will fail here, all of you. college is not a combination of your high school career, it is the beginning of your adult life.
only it is a slow, sweet process that feels nothing what life and its attending obligations you will eventually put in.
so, fail here. be bad at things, be embarrassed, be afraid, and be vulnerable. go out on a limb, or two, or twelve and you will fall and it will hurt, but the harder you fall the farther you'll rise, the louder you fall, the clearer your future becomes.
failure is a gift, welcome it."

i have been told twice, by someone in my famly that i will fail. the first time being in high school and them saying to me, i will fail at life. no, i won't fail at a task, or in a class, but in life. how can someone say that to a 16 year old girl who already has enough crap going on in her life.
the second time by this same person told me i would fail was over christmas break.
"maybe college isn't for you, if you keep making these grades, you will fail."
it sounded all to familiar and this person is a jackass for thinking they are helping me by telling me i am a failure.
after the first time they said it, i told myself and them, that i will not fail, i have gotten this far, i don't have time to fail.
yes, failure will happen, trust me, i have failed a many of times. however, for someone to say that to me, has made me even more eager to succeed in everything i do.
i have to remember...ready for another quote...that, "the key to failure is trying to please everyone," said by the one and only bill cosby.
i have stopped trying to please this person for a long time, i stopped the day they told me i would fail at life. but, i have to remember we learn more from failure then having success and i am not done learning, which means, i am not done failing. i just have to make sure when i fail, i tried my hardest to succeed, and then not get discouraged. life isn't about succeeding, it is about learning from failure.

No comments: