6.09.2009

a summer update

i have been in manhattan for a little over three weeks and i should have listened to my friend cooper when he said not to stay in manhattan over the summer.
these past three weeks have been the worst. I have been all alone, no one to talk to, and i have been bored out of my mind, in the rare occurrence i didn't have loads of reading. 
my history class on domestic violence was amazing and i learned so much. i can pretty much tell you the whole timeline of domestic violence through the centuries...it's pretty awesome stuff once you learn about it.
being in class is the only time i enjoy being in manhattan...even my finance class, this is a bad sign. 
now that my roommate is back from europe, manhattan as gotten a billion times better which comes to show that it doesn't matter where you are, it matters who you're with. 
though i love being here with hannah, i live with her. i get the pleasure of seeing and hanging out with her all the time. 
my friends back home in other words are different. 
i don't get to see my middle schoolers, i don't get to go to matt's house on friday's, i don't get to see my two best friends. 
i have tried being positive about this whole staying in manhattan thing and it is not working, and i am never doing it again. 
i am half way done till i get to leave for chicago, which will have a lot of similarities to manhattan...being by myself, no one to talk to, stuff like that, but chicago will be an adventure because i have never had an internship there before, i'm in manhattan all the time, it isn't that special.
i can suck it up just a little bit longer, and again, hannah is here and that is a tremendous help.
i am glad i stayed here because i wouldn't have been able to take my history class, but some classes can just wait till the actual school year, and that is what i plan on doing for now on, summer school is so not worth the time.

2 comments:

Christie said...

Sorry you're not having a lot of fun being in Manhattan by yourself!
Don't get too down about Chicago! I was SO bored when I was in Texas because I didn't know anyone, but by the end I realized it was actually a great vacation for me and even though being alone a lot was boring, it gave me an opportunity to learn a lot more about myself.
I bet Chicago- especially if you try to see as much of the city as you can- will be much more exciting.
:)

HLB said...

i love you and i'm glad we got to spend a good month or so together this summer...but i'm super pumped (and jealous!) for you to go to chi town and have adventures!!! almost time!...